MERIDIAN TOWNSHIP - Trick-or-Treating in Meridian Township will take place on Thursday, October 31st from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. The Meridian Township Police Department provides safety tips for making Trick-or-Treating trouble free:
• Make sure older children trick-or-treat with friends. Together, map out a safe route, so parents know where children are.
• Children should only stop at familiar homes, with the outside light on.
• Try to trick-or-treat when it’s still light out. If it’s dark, be sure to carry flashlights.
• Remind kids not to enter a stranger’s home or get into a stranger’s car.
• Use costumes that are flame retardant, so the little ones are not in danger near burning jack-o-lanterns and other fire hazards.
• Keep the length of costumes short to prevent trips, falls, and other bumps in the night.
• Consider make-up instead of a mask. Masks can be hot and uncomfortable. More importantly, they can obstruct a child’s vision, which could prove dangerous while crossing streets and going up steps.
• Make sure kids wear light colors or put reflective tape on their clothing/costumes.
• Trick-or-treaters should always be in groups or with a parent, so they are not a tempting target.
• Children need to know not to eat their treats until they get home.
• Check out treats at home in a well-lighted area.
• Only allow children to eat unopened candies and other treats that are in original wrappers. Don’t forget to inspect fruit and homemade goodies for anything suspicious.
Information provided came from the National Crime Prevention Council.
For more information, visit the Meridian Township website